July 7, 2008

Why am I such a bad liar?

So I told my boss I had a doctors appointment today rather then the truth that I am going to the Red Sox game - don't know why I lied, I just did.

Just a few minutes ago I was in a meeting with him and another coworker; we finished the meeting and I got up to leave and she asked if she could talk to him for one more min (normal, about something else). So he goes sure, give me one min, and follows me out of his office (to go to the bathroom). And we're walking out together, but he is one step behind me, and he goes "good luck this afternoon." and I say "thanks" and he goes "everything okay?" (in a nice, non-intrusive way) and I said "oh yes, fine thanks" and then he goes "don't forget to wear sunscreen" and tapped me on the back and kind of had a little laugh to himself, and I half laughed, half stopped breathing.We both kept walking, him to the bathroom, me to my desk, and there I proceeded to have a mini freak out at my desk: "He KNOWS!!! ... How does he KNOW?!?!? ... Oh My GOD does he HATE ME?!?!"

So I sit at my desk for another minute and I say "crap crap crap" to myself over and over.

And then I realize: I have a really bad sunburn on my neck ... and i had just pulled my hair up ... and he was just giving me crap for the sunburn I ALREADY had. NOT the sunburn I would get by sitting in Fenway park on this beautiful day.

And two minutes later as I proceeded to a coworker/friends desk to tell her the story, he gave me a fist bump saying good job on the presentation I've been working on.

And now that I think about it, I hope he washed his hands. :)

5 comments:

Jess said...

I would be doing that too--totally imagining that everyone knew the truth and freaking myself over it. I hope he washed his hands too!

cadiz12 said...

whoa, close call. i once had a coworker who swore me to secrecy that he was going to call in with a migraine and go to Wrigley Field for the game, then got so buzzed at the game that he called me at work, yelling about what a great time he was having. that was an awkward conversation to disguise for the other coworkers around me.

S said...

Ha! That's a great story. Have fun at "the doctor"!

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

I just wanted to let you know that I emailed my friend to find out as much info about her dresses as possible... just waiting for a response now :)

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

What is the best way to contact you? Please email me at amy77jc@yahoo.com ... i've got that info you want! :)